Lubrication (H4 Machines)
The ballscrews on all 3 axes will require occasional grease to maintain smooth operation. The official product to be used is "Sinopec Multipurpose Lithium Grease (Natural) NLGI 1", with the following information from the MSDS:
A similar lithium grease is included in the lubrication kit. This grease is used on several other mechanical components beyond the ballscrews. Ball bearings are lubricated with Velocite No 6 oil, also included in the kit.
Lubricating the X Axis
- Engage the E-Stop. Release the x-axis bellows covers from each end to access the x-axis ballscrew and bearings
- Slide the x-xis all the way to the left side.
- Vacuum up any chips that made their way under the bellows, being careful not to get any debris on the ballscrew or linear rods.
- Remove the cap from the pre-loaded green grease syringe.
- Apply approx 0.1 mL of grease into 2 of the ball screw grooves as close to the center of the axis as possible.
- Slide the bed over to the right side and apply grease to the left side of the ballscrew
- Apply a drop of Velocite No. 6 oil (included in the lubrication kit) to each of the thrust bearings. Note that newer machines will have 2 set screws plugging holes over the thrust bearings for easier access. Remove the set screws and inject several drops of oil into each.
- Apply several drops of oil to the linear rods
- Secure the bellows covers, disengage the E-stop, and home the machine. Jog the machine along the x-axis several times to make sure that the grease and oil are applied across the entire axis. [You can also run the SPEED macro]
Lubricating the Y-Axis
- Remove the bed
- Remove the Y shroud being careful to avoid straining the bed heater cables.
- Apply 0.1mL of grease into the ball screw grooves as close to the center as possible on either side of the ballnut assembly.
- Apply a drop of oil to the thrust bearings
- Apply a drop of oil to both sides of the linear bearings
- Move the y axis back and forth
Lubricating the Z-Axis
- Move z axis to the top
- Remove one side of the bellows covers
- Apply grease to the grooves of the ball screw right below the z-carriage.
- Apply approximately 0.1 mL of oil to the thrust bearings
- Reinstall the bellows and move the turret down to the approximate midpoint of its travel
- Remove the top bellows and apply grease just above the z-carriage
- Run the Z-axis up and down to ensure that the grease is applied across the entire screw.
Lubricating the Turret Arm Components
- Remove the left side arm covers
- Press the turret unlatch button
- Apply a small amount of grease to the pawl of the turret latch where it interfaces with the timing plate
- Apply a small amount of grease to the linear motor shafts of the cleaning station and the turret latch
- Apply a drop of oil to the small hole on top of the turret latch
- Reinstall the left side arm covers.