Control of the H4 is done via a web browser (or the pendant). But FIRST you need to connect the machine to the network, and find its address.
Newer H4 machines have Ethernet control boards. Connect an ethernet cable to the top of the control board. The wire can be threaded through an opening in the electronics enclosure:
Once connected and powered, you only need to find the IP address of the machine and type that into a browser. This can be done a few ways:
- If you have a pendant, the IP address will pop up on power-on. You can also find it by navigating to "PANEL -> SETUP", where you will find this screen:
- Connect to the machine via USB (with the supplied cable connected to the side of the electronics cabinet). You can use Pronterface or Simplify3D to communicated with the machine (as described below). The IP address should come up automatically on startup, but you can also send M552 to get the network status of the H4
- Use your router to find a list of connected clients. You should see it identified by its serial number, which is located on the rear of the electronics cabinet (i.e. H4054)
After you connect, bookmark the page. It should not change.
H4 serial numbers below 50 use a Duet WiFi controller and can be connected by following the instructions below. Detailed connection instructions (from the manufacturer) can be found here. The description below is the recommended procedure for the H-Series.
- Connect a computer to the H-Series machine on the left side of the electronics cabinet with the cable included with your printer,
- Open Simplify3D (Or Prontrface, as an alternative), and go to Tools -> Machine Control Panel (or press Ctrl+P) (or use whatever serial connection interface you normally do), and connect to the machine.
- Under the Communication tab, enter the following commands in the dialog box, substituting your actual network name, password, and Machine Name in the appropriate spots
M587 S"your-network-name" P"your-network-password"
- After a few seconds, the IP address of your name should be displayed in the Communication box. If not, send "M552" to see what the WiFi status is.
- You can now connect to your machine via WiFi by copying the IP address into a web browser address bar. You can also go to http://YourMachineName or http://YourMachineName.local
- You can bookmark this page to access your machine easily in the future
To connect your tablet to your machine, you will need to configure WiFi in the tablet settings (Settings -> WiFi). Then run the H-Series app from the homescreen. If the tablet is on the same network as the machine, then it will find and connect to the machine automatically.
Once you have connected to the WiFi, it would be good practice to update your firmware to latest revision.
- If you can't see the machine over USB, make sure you have the correct drivers installed. (Step 2 here with instructions, direct link, and also located on the machine SD card)
- Connect via USB and confirm that the machine is connected to the correct network (has an IP address):
- If not, toggle the WiFi chip:
- Make sure the computer is connected to the same network
- IN A WEB BROWSER, navigate to one of the following addresses to connect to the machine:
- http://IP Address of machine found in previous step