First, make sure your scanner is calibrated. If you are certain that the laser positions have not moved since the last scan, then additional calibration is not necessary.
In the 3D Scanner page of the H-Series Controller, press the "Move to Scan Position" button. It is critical that the scanner not be installed at this point, as the turret will try to move. If the scanner is installed, the turret will not be able to move and the machine will lose its U-position.
Once the machine has stopped moving, install the scanner to the auxiliary bracket and connect the two cables to the side of the electronics cabinet.
- Place the item to be scanned on the center of the bed
- Select the "Start Scan" button, which will open this dialog box:
- Enter the name of your scan, the length you wish to scan, and the resolution. By default, the "Linear" option is (correctly) selected
- Press "Activate lasers". Move the X-axis so that the lasers are just to the -X side of the object you want to scan. (The scan will move the bed in the positive X direction)
- Confirm that the object is centered under the camera in the Y-direction
- Press "Start Scan"
The scan may take up to 10 minutes depending on the length and resolution that you chose. A dialog box in HSC will display the scan progress.
Once the scan is complete, close the dialog, refresh the 3D Scanner page, and download the scanned file to your computer. Run the Scan Processor application (download below), and navigate to the scan file on your computer. Once you press the "Process" button, the Processor will output an .OBJ file which is easily editable in Fusion 360 and other software.
To process the file in Fusion 360:
- Import a mesh
- Convert the mesh to T-spline
- Trim off any unwanted edge defects
IMAGE OF F360 operations